Makes 2,5 litres (10 cups) of melkkos
1. 200g sago
2. 2.5 liters milk
3. 2 eggs
4. 60 ml water
5. 30 g custard powder
6. 2 ml salt
7. 15 ml butter/margarine
8. cinnanamon Sugar
1. Soak the sago in the milk for about an hour.
2. Gradually bring the mixture to the boil over moderate heat, using
a heavy based saucepan.
3. Stir it quite often in order to prevent burning and simmer until the
sago is soft and transparent.
4. Separate the eggs. Beat together the egg yolks, water, custard
powder and salt.
5. Add the custard mixture to the milk mixture and simmer until
thick, stirring often.
6. Add the butter/margarine.
7. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
8. Stir a little of the stiffly beaten egg white into the hot melkos until
9. Then lightly fold the remaining egg white into the mixture, using
a metal spoon.
10. Pour the custard melkkos into a heat proof serving dish, sprinkle
lavishly with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately.